The National Medical Research Council (NMRC) awards are presented to clinician scientists and researchers to carry out translational and clinical research in Singapore – to transform patient care with their research.
Research teams from NNI and NCCS secured $35 million under the Open Fund – Large Collaborative Grant, a national competitive research fund that supports teams from public institutions who dedicate their efforts to advance research for improving human health and wellness.
Singapore PARKinson’s disease Translational Clinical Programme (SPARK)The NNI team, headed by Professor Tan Eng King, Deputy Medical Director of Academic Affairs, Director of Research and Senior Consultant at the Department of Neurology, NNI received a $25 million grant for the Singapore PARKinson’s disease Translational Clinical Programme (SPARK). The study aims to discover new therapies to slow down or treat Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s disease (PD) affects 3 in 1000 Singaporeans above 50 years of age and the programme’s objectives include identifying new drugs to improve health outcomes in Parkinson’s disease. The team is also focusing on factors that influence disease progression and healthcare cost, so as to reduce the burden of the disease for patients, caregivers and wider society.
Singapore lYMPHoma translational study (SYMPHONY)The NCCS team, headed by Professor Lim Soon Thye, Deputy Medical Director (Clinical), NCCS received a $10 million grant for the Singapore lYMPHoma translational study (SYMPHONY).
In spite of considerable efforts by many groups over multiple years, there remains significant challenges in the clinical management of patients with lymphoid malignancies. The study’s proposed research aims to provide fundamental understanding of the disease mechanisms in order to translate them into novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to improve survival in patients with lymphoma.
With these grants, SingHealth’s healthcare professionals are able to translate their work into tangible benefits for patients and continue to create an academic ecosystem where new ideas and research can thrive.
NMRC Award Winners17 clinician scientists and researchers won talent development awards such as the Singapore Translational Research Investigator Awards, Clinician Scientist Awards and Transition Awards, which are presented to outstanding researchers who do internationally-competitive translational and clinical research. Nine budding clinician scientists were also recognised under the NMRC Research Training Fellowship and MOH Healthcare Research Scholarship programmes.
Below is the full list of winners.
Singapore Translational Research (STaR) Investigator Award
1. Prof Antonio Bertoletti Duke-NUS 2. Prof David M. Virshup Duke-NUS3. Prof Karl Tryggvason Duke-NUS
1. Prof Antonio Bertoletti Duke-NUS
2. Prof David M. Virshup Duke-NUS
3. Prof Karl Tryggvason Duke-NUS
4. Assoc Prof Ong Sin Tiong Duke-NUS5. Prof Ooi Eng Eong Duke-NUS, SingHealth
4. Assoc Prof Ong Sin Tiong Duke-NUS
5. Prof Ooi Eng Eong Duke-NUS, SingHealth
6. Asst Prof Melvin Chua NCCS, Duke-NUS7. Asst Prof Calvin Chin NHCS, Duke-NUS8. Asst Prof Donny Hoang SNEC, SERI, Duke-NUS9. Asst Prof Dr Iain Tan NCCS, Duke-NUS10. Assoc Prof Andrea Kwa SGH, Duke-NUS11. Asst Prof Angela Koh NHCS, Duke-NUS
6. Asst Prof Melvin Chua NCCS, Duke-NUS
7. Asst Prof Calvin Chin NHCS, Duke-NUS
8. Asst Prof Donny Hoang SNEC, SERI, Duke-NUS
9. Asst Prof Dr Iain Tan NCCS, Duke-NUS
10. Assoc Prof Andrea Kwa SGH, Duke-NUS
11. Asst Prof Angela Koh NHCS, Duke-NUS
12. Asst Prof Dawn Chong NCCS, Duke-NUS13. Asst Prof Tan Hong Chang SGH, Duke-NUS14. Dr Pua Yong Hao SGH15. Asst Prof Tiffany Tang NCCS, Duke-NUS16. Asst Prof Shweta Singhal SNEC, SERI, Duke-NUS17. Dr Adeline Ng NNI, Duke-NUS
12. Asst Prof Dawn Chong NCCS, Duke-NUS
13. Asst Prof Tan Hong Chang SGH, Duke-NUS
14. Dr Pua Yong Hao SGH
15. Asst Prof Tiffany Tang NCCS, Duke-NUS
16. Asst Prof Shweta Singhal SNEC, SERI, Duke-NUS
17. Dr Adeline Ng NNI, Duke-NUS
18. Dr Troy Puar Hai Kiat CGH19. Asst Prof Liu Yu Chi SNEC, SERI, Duke-NUS20. Dr Diana Chan SGH, Duke-NUS21. Dr Nei Wen Long NCCS, Duke-NUS
18. Dr Troy Puar Hai Kiat CGH
19. Asst Prof Liu Yu Chi SNEC, SERI, Duke-NUS
20. Dr Diana Chan SGH, Duke-NUS
21. Dr Nei Wen Long NCCS, Duke-NUS
22. Dr Wang Fuqiang NCCS, Duke-NUS 23. Dr Clement Wu MOH Holdings Pte Ltd (SGH), Duke-NUS24. Dr Sue-Ann Ng SGH, Duke-NUS25. Dr Judith Wong KKH, Duke-NUS26. Dr Vincent Tay MOH Holdings Pte Ltd (SGH), Duke-NUS
22. Dr Wang Fuqiang NCCS, Duke-NUS
23. Dr Clement Wu MOH Holdings Pte Ltd (SGH), Duke-NUS
24. Dr Sue-Ann Ng SGH, Duke-NUS
25. Dr Judith Wong KKH, Duke-NUS
26. Dr Vincent Tay MOH Holdings Pte Ltd (SGH), Duke-NUS
Our heartiest congratulations to all the award recipients from the SingHealth Duke-NUS Academic Medical Centre!
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...