FELLOWSHIP IN REFRACTIVE SURGERY
The SNEC Refractive Surgery Fellowship programme provides training in management of all types of refractive surgery procedures, including refractive cataract surgery performed in SNEC, and management of complications as well as training on the selection and appropriate counselling for refractive surgery patients.
- The fellow will help run outpatient clinics where he will participate in the counselling, investigation, diagnosis and management of a range of medical and surgical eye disorders. Training in the appropriate selection of refractive surgery patients, selection of current refractive surgery treatment options and the management of postoperative complications will be provided. Fellows will also be trained in interpreting topography results
- The fellow will participate in the evaluation and management of patients with a variety of medical and surgical disorders of the eye and visual system
- There is no call schedule, but fellows are expected to be the first line in managing any emergencies related to refractive surgery
- The fellow will be attached to a senior staff in the operating theatre to observe, to assist and to learn refractive surgery procedures, refractive cataract surgery and phakic intraocular lens surgery.
- As all refractive surgery patients are private patients, only local fellows will be allow to perform surgeries under supervision.
- The number of patients a fellow can operate and the type of surgeries a fellow may perform may depend on the ability of the fellow to attract his own patients and his ability to complete the various certification courses.
Educational / Research Exposure
Fellows are required to participate in clinical rounds and daily ward reviews, journal clubs/teaching programmes, retrospective and prospective clinical research and quality assurance audit programmes of the department. All fellows will also participate in teaching of residents and/or medical students and attend all SNEC meetings.
- The fellow will be required to complete the SNEC LASIK Accreditation Course during the course of his fellowship
- Fellows will be given opportunities to complete certification requirements, including wet-lab, for all lasers and refractive surgery procedures performed in SNEC
NUMBER OF PLACES AVAILABLE:
One (1) every year