FELLOWSHIP IN ADVANCED CATARACT
The SNEC Advanced Cataract Fellowship programme provides training for all types of cataract operations with focus on complicated cataracts and refractive surgery (subject to availability).
Fellows will help run outpatient clinics where he/she will participate in the counselling, investigation, diagnosis and management of complicated cataract cases i.e. subluxated cataracts, subluxated IOLs, other IOL-related problems. Fellows will be attached to a senior staff and assist in the management of refractive surgery cases (if cataract roster permits).
- Fixing dislocated lenses
- Surgical techniques to minimise risk of posterior capsule rupture and corneal edema
- Techniques to handle the subluxated cataract in conjunction with providing stable lens fixation
- Management of phacoemulsification complications such as incomplete anterior capsulorrhexis, zonulysis and posterior capsule rupture
- Surgical manoeuvres to optimise post-surgical outcomes
- The fellow will also be attached to a senior staff/ supervisor in the operating theatre to assist and learn complicated cataract surgery.
Educational / Research Exposure
Fellows are required to participate in clinical rounds and daily ward reviews, journal clubs/teaching programmes, retrospective and prospective clinical research and quality assurance audit programmes of the department. All fellows will also participate in teaching of residents and/or medical students and attend all SNEC meetings.
NUMBER OF PLACES AVAILABLE:
One (1) every 2 years